Bugs are an interesting part of life on this planet. Largely little but beastly big in their role and activity, they are an incredibly significant part of God’s creation.
Independent. Self-sufficient. Always at work. Without even the promise of pay or a benefit package of any kind, from birth to death, bugs are doing their thing with all they’ve got.
According to information available online from the Smithsonian, it has long been recognized and documented that insects are the most diverse group of organisms, meaning that the number of species of insects are more than any other group.
Let me share a few staggering statistics –
- In the world, some 900,000 different kinds of living insects are known. In the United States alone that number is approximately 91,000.
- Recent figures indicate that there are more than 200 million insects for each human on the planet.
- A recent article in the New York Times claimed the world holds 300 pounds of insects for every pound of human.
- At any time, it is estimated that there are some 10 quintillion individual insects alive (that’s 10 with 19 zeroes).
- Several enlightening studies have been conducted involving the number of insects in a given area. In one state (North Carolina), soil samples to a depth of five inches yielded a calculation that there were approximately 124 million critters per acre.
We can learn a lot from bugs.
When we think of the disagreement between those who postulate life was formed accidentally and those who believe that there is an intelligent creative God who is responsible for making our universe, our planet and every form of life on it, the numerous kinds of insects and their remarkably synchronized interrelated lifestyles would be as powerful an argument as one would ever need to give God the glory!
Frankly, the closer we look, the more data we secure about life in all its forms – birds, fish, mammals, plants – in addition to termites, bees, ants and fleas, confirms that randomness simply does not and cannot satisfy the facts!
This point of view may “bug” someone reading this but let me conclude with a Bible verse I hope you’ll take to heart. Romans 1:20 says, “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead.”